Date:      10 Jan 2003 14:30:52 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate Barracuda ATA IV ST380021A

Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz> writes:

>     to expand on this: hard disk vendors lie to the customers. when you
>     buy an "80 GB" disk you actually buy 80 * 1000 ^ 3 (Lowell, I don't think
>     drive got *that* big yet :), not 80 * 1024 ^ 3.
>
>     American hd buyers might try a class action lawsuit. :)

No doubt the lawyers would bring in Expert Witnesses saying that
a GB is 10^9 bytes.  And they'd be right.  And wrong.

I noticed Linux boot msgs giving sizes in "MiB", etc.  Maybe a good
idea, but it's ugly and I'd prefer an official FreeBSD dictionary for
such things wherein GB = 2^30 in all docs, msgs, and source.