Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 23:08:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Fixit floppy (Was: Please Read This)

As Paul Richards wrote:

> > The suggested way of using the fixit floppy is to boot the install
> > floppy, and select the fixit option.

> I couldn't get this to work, it's what I tried. The install floppy
> always goes into sysinstall and I didn't see a fixit option, which
> probably means I have an old install floppy.

Certainly.  You need the boot floppy from a 2.1R.

> If you don't have DOS on your box then you're going to need to create these
> floppies off the cdrom when you install initially a'la Win NT etc.

I don't see any advantage of a separate boot floppy with just the
GENERIC kernel only.  The install floppy does have the same kernel,
only blown up by its builtin MFS.  But functionally, they are the
same.  If you need a custom kernel, you will have to create your
custom boot floppy anway.  Of course, you'd best do this in
advance. :-)

--
cheers, J"org