Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 09:55:41 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

>At 12:51 PM 5/5/99 -0500, Mike Avery wrote:
>>As a FreeBSD newbie, I probably should look more before
speaking,
>>but advocacy and development require different skills.  That
isn't to
>>say one person can't have both, but most often they don't.  It
seems
>>that there should be a separate group handling publicity,
evangalism,
>>advocacy, and so on.  And the group should be more open  than
the
>>existing structure seems to be.
>
>Absolutely. And since marketing needs HOURS (communicating with
humans
>is MUCH more time-consuming than coding), there also needs to
be a
>financial incentive, at least for the primary marketers.

I do not doubt that marketing costs time, but to put off coders
like that is being as worse as people putting down PR
activity...

Coding take less time? Heh, I wonder if Matthew Dillon, Peter
Wemm, Doug Rabson, David O'Brien and the likes all think that's
correct...

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai