Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 23:14:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        mph@astro.caltech.edu
Cc:        charon@freethought.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRAF

 > On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 10:31:25PM -0800, charon@freethought.org wrote:
 >> Might I suggest that someone look into porting IRAF (an astronomy utility
 >> for image analysis, etc.) to FreeBSD?  The IRAF website
 >> <http://iraf.noao.edu>; has a FreeBSD version of the program, but it's not
 >> in the ports collection.  Sorry, I would try to make the port myself if I
 >> had half a clue what I was doing!  Maybe I'll get around to it in a few
 >> years ;)

 > I have looked into this.  It appears fairly non-trivial, and my
 > impression from their documentation is that the installation will
 > vary more from site to site than it does for most software.

hmmm. I had a port of the previous version, and it was complex
because I started from the solaris sources (at this time FreeBSD was
not supported). If you read carefully the documentation, making a port
for a supported system is not that difficult. However, last time I
looked in the ftp site, not all sources were available.

Jean-Marc

--
 Jean-Marc Zucconi                    PGP Key: finger jmz@FreeBSD.ORG