Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 18:40:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        swaits@pr.erau.edu (Stephen Waits)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quotacheck runs away and crashes system..  argh!

Stephen Waits wrote:

> I decided today I'd get quota's working on our system.
>
> I did the following:
>
> touch /usr/quota.users
> chown root.wheel /usr/quota.users
> chmod 600 /usr/quota.users

You don't need to create a zero length quota file first.  Enabling
quotas in fstab and sysconfig and then rebooting will establish
the new quota file for you.

> Edited /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sd0s1f              /usr   ufs    rw,userquota 1 1
>
> Edited /etc/sysconfig:
>
> check_quotas=YES
>
> REBOOTED..  The system booted fine until it said it was checking the
> quotas.  The drive chugged along for awhile, then. .. silence..
>

> SO, I changed /etc/sysconfig back to check_quotas=NO, rebooted, and ran
> quotacheck -av manually with top running on another VTY.
>
> quotacheck chugged through the disk for a bit, then spit out a bunch of
> "fixed:" lines showing the updates it was making, then sat there.  Now, a
> look at top showed it starting to run like crazy as soon as the "sitting
> there" begins.  Any ideas?  tia.

I suspect that you have some very large uids in your file system.
Quotacheck is not very efficient and if you have some very large
uids, or very large gaps between uids, quotacheck can run for a
very long time.  You might want to pick up the quotacheck from
-current and run it with the "-v" option to see if it complains
about unknown uids.  You could also run find with the -nouser
option.

The "fixed:" lines were probably the result of running quotacheck on
an active filesystem and the fact that you had interrupted quotacheck
earlier.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@minn.net