Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:38:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        spork@cncn.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM

According to Spike Gronim:
> Hello.
>
> 	I would like to configure XDM. I have "The complete FreeBSD", and
> it said to put a line like
> "ttyvX	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xtrerm	on secure"
> in my /etc/ttys file.
>
> 	It presented me with login: and password: and a console log. I
> typed my name/ password, and the screen blanked and then came back to the
> same login screen. When I typed an incorrect login, it said incorrect
> login, so it is recognizing me. I found the server output (included) in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors. I don't really understand how to
> configure xdm, and if anybody has any pointers it would be appreciated.
>
> When I couldn't log in via XDM, I cut it out of the ttys file. I kill
> -HUPed 1, and it was still running. So, I killed it and it's accompanying
> console reading proccess. I was at the console (ttyv0) at the time. It
> hung my terminal at the least and the system at worst, as it would just
> beep when I hit a key. I rebooted the computer, it fscked root (after
> warning about improper reboot) and then halted on the fscking of /usr. I
> dropped to singleuser by hitting ^C, and manually fscked /, /usr and /var.
> I hit ^D, and the system proceeded to boot. Why did xdm do this to my
> system when I tried to kill it?

	Much of what you describe happened to me when I was installing
	X Window  Window Managers on my new box.

	The things that you must have in your /home account are
	an ~/.xsession file  that had the xterms, and other x tools
	that you want; and the name on the WM.  For example

	xterm -fn 9x15bold &
	ctwm &

	and so forth.

	Additionally, your ~/.xsession file must be mode 0755; i.e.
	executable.

	Try this and get back to the list....

	gary

--