Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 20:21:29 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, se@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hans@brandinnovators.com
Subject:   Re: bootloader & memory test...

>Besides the point, that it would be very complex to do the right thing
>if this code ever finds a problem, such a test would guarantee, that
>the caches are "empty" every time you leave the idle loop. ;)

Actually, the test would want to work on non-cached pages to be sure
of testing main memory.  You could even run the code from a cached
pages to avoid losing I-cache, but I suppose a really good memory test
program should lock itself into the L1 cache to avoid side effects.
It would also disable interrupts ...  Not good for an idle loop.

Bruce