Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 22:34:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.1.5-RELEASE NFS install problems

I have this annoying problem of error messages showing up when I boot up the
machine using the boot floppy and trying to do an NFS install.  I'm trying
to install 2.1.5-RELEASE.  In options, I chose secure NFS because I'm
trying to mount off of a SUN workstation.  I go through everything and then
do a commit.  After the filesystem has been created and some files off of the
boot floppy has been copied, I get the error message:
  Error mounting sunbeam:/u/export/FreeBSD on /dist: No such file or directory (

The rest of the line gets cut off.

I do an alt-F2 and the screen said:
  DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file
  mount_nfs: can't get net id for host
  DEBUG: Switching back to VTY1

So I did an alt-F1 back to the error message and chose continue.  It then gave:
  Can't find a kernel image to link to on the root file system!
  you're going to have a hard time getting this system to
  boot from the hard disk, I'm afraid!

So I chose continue again.  Then it said:
  Installation completed with some errors.  your may wish to
  scroll through the debugging messages on VTY1 with the
  scroll-lock feature.

With another continue keystroke:
  The commit operation completed with errors.  Not updating /etc/files.

With one last continue keystroke, it then returned me back to the
"Choose Custom Installation Options" menu.  I chose Commit again.  This time,
it was able to mount the server and proceed.  All goes well and after a
reboot, the machine is up and running.

My question is, is this normal?  Are the files in /etc updated?  My screen
saver doesn't seem to work (kick in after the specified time interval).
That was the first thing I noticed.  I then tried to directly mount from
FreeBSD.cdrom.com and got the same thing.  This didn't used to happen with
2.1.0-RELEASE.

Any comments or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

William T. Wong
email:   wwong@wiley.csusb.edu