Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:21:24 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Trevin Chow" <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Passwordless Pine?

Ah - when I asked if it worked with passwords, you didn't answer yes or
no, insted responding with a question asking why it wouldn't work.  What else
would you expect me to think?

>I attempted what you suggested from your own setup and I'm not even sure
>if that's even opening an SSH connection to the IMAP mailserver.  How do I
>know if it's an SSH connection?

Ah, yes - very good question.  Your not the only one annoyed that the
developers
of Pine didn't see fit to put up a message on screen indicating that SSH was
in
effect.

What worked for me is to go to the mailserver and in inetd.conf, comment out
the imap line, leaving only the imaps line.  This turns off the non-SSHified
IMAP server.

imaps only responds to port 993 of course, so if the Pine client was switching
to the regular IMAP server at port 143 behind my back then it would have
failed.  Ugly and crude, but effective.