Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:10:00 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: bitten 3 times already.

> a:    81920        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 5*)
> b:   614400   163840      swap                        # (Cyl.   10*-48*)

> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DHEA-38451>, LBA, DMA, multi-block-16, sleep-hack
> wd0: 8063MB (16514064 sectors), 17475 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

You have 63 sectors/track which makes 945 sectors/cylinder for 15
heads.  Taking this into account I'd expect the start cylinder for the
swap partition to be somewhere around cylinder 173 and not 10.

What I see here is what I'd expect for about 16.000 sectors/cylinder.
That's not a reasonable number and I guess the driver thinks it has 16
heads and 1023 sectors/cylinder due to using LBA.

It would be interesting to see what disklabel has to say about the
geometry.  Seeing these numbers I expect them to be totally wrong and
not trustworthy.  Now when you do a dump the wd driver does *NOT* use
LBA but relies on this geometry and uses CHS addressing.  Wrong geo-
metry and crash dump makes *boom* then.  :-(

The fix to avoid getting caught by this again (if my theory is right)
I think is pretty obvious.  During dump use LBA when we use it for the
normal disk accesses.  And one could put the propper geometry in which
would make CHS addressing work in that case unless something forbibs
that.

And of course in normal use it works as you use LBA all the time and
never rely on any geometry.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.