Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:31:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        lile@stdio.com (Larry S. Lile)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Object library formats

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Larry S. Lile
had to walk into mine and say:

> Could this library be linked into a kernel?
>
> COFF/TRLLD.O:        80386 COFF executable not stripped - version 30821
>
> It is part of the Olicom device driver development kit for their token
> ring cards.  They seem to think it would be compatible with a.out.  Also
> would this library be compatible with an elf'd system?
>
> ELF/TRLLD.O:         ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1,
> not stripped

I would avoid trying to accomodate foreign object modules. It sets a
bad precedent. Repeat after me: "You want source code. You want source
code. These aren't the droids you're looking for."

On a totally different note, somebody brought Olicom to my attention
the other day: they also make PCI ethernet NICs based on the ThunderLAN
chip. These are almost completely identical to the Compaq ThunderLAN
NICs, except they use a different PCI vendor and product ID, and they
have the station address encoded at a different location within the
EEPROM (most ThunderLAN NICs have it at 0x83, they have it at 0xF8;
accomodating this is easy). Unfortunately, I don't know where to find
the PCI vendor and product IDs for their cards: all the 'datasheets'
on their web server are basically just marketing hype. I found one
place with patches for the Linux driver that claim to add Olicom
support, but in typical Linux fashion, the patches are broken: the
patch for the header file is incomplete and lists only the Olicom
vendor ID, whereas the patch for the C code refers to product IDs for
the OC-2183/2185, OC-2326 and 2326 NICs. These are nowhere to be found.

I asked Olicom about getting more useful datasheets via their
'feedback' section on the web server but haven't heard anything back
yet.

May I ask where you got the token ring device driver kit? Do they have
it available for download anywhere or did you have to speak to someone
in particular at Olicom to get it? Do you know if they have kits for
the ethernet NICs too?

-Bill

PS: The ThunderLAN chip appears to support both ethernet and token rin
    PHYs; if this is a PCI token-ring NIC thay you have, it may have
    this chip on it, in which case I would visit the Texas Instruments
    web server and obtain the programmer's guide from there.