Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:47:27 -0600
From:      Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparz@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Subject:   Re: Stry IRQs

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 04:54:20PM +0100, Nils Holland wrote:

> I can say that these messages do not have any impact on computer or printer
> performance, but I'm wondering why they are there on my DFI and Epox
> boards, but not on my Chaintech board, even though it's the same printer
> with the same cable and the same parallel port BIOS (and kernel) settings.
> Any clues?

I don't have a clue, but I have found the following comment in
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/intr_machdep.c and maybe it will help:

/*
 * Caught a stray interrupt, notify
 */
static void
isa_strayintr(vcookiep)
        void *vcookiep;
{
[...]
        /* for some reason, we get bursts of intr #7, even if not enabled! */
        /*
         * Well the reason you got bursts of intr #7 is because someone
         * raised an interrupt line and dropped it before the 8259 could
         * prioritize it.  This is documented in the intel data book.  This
         * means you have BAD hardware!  I have changed this so that only
         * the first 5 get logged, then it quits logging them, and puts
         * out a special message. rgrimes 3/25/1993
         */
[...]

--
<>> hektor@iname.com <Krzysztof Parzyszek>  Visit http://google.com
<<> (E)-N-[(4-Hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl)methyl]-8-methyl-6-nonenamide