Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 00:11:13 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        ajs@labs.mot.com
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting to Compact PCI

Hi Aron,

> >  I suspect this will be an easy step.
> >

> I hope so, but I've been reading the U-boot list and I have my doubts.

 That doesn't sound good. I'd made a guess given that U-Boot had 74xx support
and ran on a whole host of platforms.

> I've heard that U-Boot is already supposed to have some support, albeit
> rudimentary, support for FreeBSD.  Are you familiar with the extent of this?

 There really isn't any other than a #define in a header file. There's some
code to load a NetBSD secondary loader, but I thought a better approach would
be to have FreeBSD's loader run as a U-Boot 'app', similar to what they have
in examples/*.c.

 > >  Another issue is JFFS2 support in FreeBSD, which is what U-Boot uses
> > for it's flash filesystem. This would probably involve ext2fs-like
> > copyright issues.
> >

> What is the copyright issue?  I'm not familiar with this.

 The JFFS2 implementation in U-Boot seems to be derived from eCOS, so it's
either GPL'd or under the eCOS public license, and I'm not sure if the latter
is compatible with the BSD license. So, the code may have to live outside the
main kernel directory similar to the GPL'd sys/gnu/ext2fs.

later,

Peter.