Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 10:25:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@forum.lariat.org>
To:        jedgar@fxp.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCPD bug

Chris Faulhaber writes:

>I assume you first emailed portmgr@FreeBSD.org (since they work the
>packages) or perhaps admins@FreeBSD.org or hub@FreeBSD.org (who
>maintain the various FreeBSD machines) and you received no response
>so you are trying to contact them using the -security list.

That assumption is incorrect. None of the addresses you mention above
are listed as contacts for such requests, or if they are I
could not find them listed as such. I did post to the -ports list,
which one would expect to be monitored at least as closely by those
in charge of updating packages, but received no response at all.

I posted to the -security list not only because failure to update the
package is a very serious security issue, but also because no advisory
has yet gone out. It is important that an advisory be sent before
exploits become widespread. You can bet that the malware authors are
already hard at work on skripts and worms that exploit the hole.

--Brett Glass