Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:09:34 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        "Justin Wolf" <jjwolf@bleeding.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Tanguy de Courson" <tanguy@itninc.net>
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C509B Oddities

> I had a 3C509B in a 2.2.8 machine for a while with no problems... I haven't
> had it in a 3.0 machine yet - I'm using a DEC Tulip card in it right now.
> Maybe 3.0 broke something?

Nope.  I have been using a 905B since 3.0-R and now 3.0-Stable with no
problems at all:

>xl0: <3Com 3c905B Fast Etherlink XL 10/100BaseTX> rev 0x00 int a irq 11 on pci0.17.0
>xl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:5a:a9:84:33
>xl0: autoneg complete, link status good (full-duplex, 100Mbps)

The messages the original poster was getting about ether addresses moving
probably means that several machines are attempting to use the same IP address
and they are fighting over it.  This explains why it works periodically - when
this machine has 'control' it receives packets, but as soon as one of the other
machines attempts to use the net, it 'steals' the ARP entries and this machine
stops.  It would also explain the failing ftps: when another machine steals the
IP address, the in-progress TCP session will get a RST because the new machine
has no knowledge of the open session, causing the FTP server to drop the
connection even when this machine steals back the IP address.

Sharing IPs is A Bad Thing.