Date:      Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:48:45 -0500
From:      "Anthony M. Agelastos" <iqgrande@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating from 5.4-STABLE to 6.0-STABLE

Hello everyone,

I am preparing my system for syncing with 6.0-STABLE and updating it
from 5.4-STABLE. In preparation, on the 6.0-RELEASE Announcement
page, it lists that some of the changes since 5.4 include:

"Significant performance improvements to the filesystem and direct
disk access layers of the OS. The filesystem is now multithreaded and
can take full advantage of multiple CPU systems."

This makes it sound as if UFS2 has been updated from 5.4 to 6.0. If
this is true, will updating from 5.4 to 6.0 give me these changes or
will I have to reformat the drives with the updated UFS2? When
FreeBSD 7.0 comes out, I expect it to have the UFS2+Journalling
extension that someone worked on for the Google Summer of Code. When
this occurs, is there an easy way of updating the filesystems? If
there is no easy formatter that leaves the files in-place, what is
the recommended method of relocating the files, then reformatting
with the updated filesystem, then putting them back (I don't know if
tar archives are appropriate for this, or what is recommended). Thank
you all for your assistance in answering these questions. If I can
get the exact same system from reinstalling 6.0 from scratch or
updating from 5.4-STABLE, it would save me a lot of time in
recompiling the ~400 Ports I have built for this system to just
update. Any commentary on the issue is welcome. I have searched all
of the relevant documentation I could find to no avail. If there is
information posted somewhere on these topics, referencing me to them
would be greatly appreciated.

-Anthony