Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:42:22 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User PPP, problem with modem password on dial-up

Brian Somers wrote:

> > Can anyone help me with a couple of problems I'm having with User PPP?.
> > I set it up to dial into my ISP (the instructions in the FreeBSD
> > handbook are first-class BTW, I followed them from start to finish,
> > rebooted and dialled in first time - well done whoever wrote them ), and
> > it all works OK apart from one small problem, which is annoying more
> > than anything else.
> >
> >       When a connection is made I get the prompt "ppp on marder-1" (lower
> > case 'ppp'), eventually this changes to "PPP on marder-1" (upper case
> > 'PPP') which, if I understand it correctly means that I am now logged
> > into the network. However I still get "host has no DNS entry" when I try
> > to access a Web page and "no route to server" if I ping the ISP's
> > nameserver. But, if I type "add HISADDR 0 0" at the ppp prompt
> > everything works OK. The entry in my ppp.conf is as per the example in
> > the handbook (except for the phone no. etc.) which includes the 'add...'
> > string. It would appear that it is necessary to wait before sending this
> > string, but I can't work out how to do this in the ppp.conf entry. Any
> > ideas?
>
> Check out the man page.  You need a ppp.linkup file with the `add'.

I've already got a ppp.linkup file containing:

	global:
	 delete all
	 add 0 0 HISADDR

The problem appears to be that these commands are being sent before my
computer has been registered on the network. Is there a 'delay' or
'wait' command that can be used to delay the sending of these commands?

> >       My second problem is that I need to dial into the network at work. The
> > modem I dial into (USR Courier v.34) has the password set on it but I
> > never get to see the password prompt. In Windoze NT4 I simply cloned the
> > phonebook entry for my ISP, changed the phone no. and added the option
> > to pop-up a terminal window after dialling. The modems' password prompt
> > appears in this window, enter the password, dismiss the terminal window
> > and NT logs me into the network. How do I get to enter the modem
> > password using FreeBSD's user PPP?
>
> Use the `term' command to figure out how to get past the login: and
> password: prompts, then try enabling `chat' logging to ensure that
> your chat script is doing the same thing.

I tried that, started a term, dialled up manually (ATDT.... etc) and got
the modem's password prompt. I entered the modem password and got the
'Security access granted' message but then the terminal will accept no
more commands (the cursor stays at the end of the last message). Under
NT4 it is necessary to dismiss the terminal window to invoke the (NT)
login but doing this (typing "~.") doesn't work with FreeBSD. It would
seem that there is some command that must be sent to fire up NT's login
procedure, Ctrl-Alt-Del is a possibility as that is required when
logging in locally to NT, but I can't figure out how to send this.

Have you any other suggestions?. The sysadmin at work is not much help,
the dial-in was setup to allow salesmen & engineers to dial in from
there laptops running Win95 so the response I get is 'use Windows', but
I don't want to. I prefer to use a REAL Operating System :-).

--
CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |