Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:09:40 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Smarter kernel modules?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:33:31PM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>At 2003-03-06T03:08:52Z, Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org> writes:
>
>> Has anyone ever considered embedding some sort of identifier in kernel
>> modules to keep them from being loaded with the wrong kernel?
>
>Unless I'm mistaken, 5.0 supports having multiple kernels installed, each
>with their own modules directories, under /boot.

Yes, but this doesn't resolve the versioning issue.

1) If you update any of those kernels, the updated kernel and updated
   modules will be written into /boot/FOO/ as appropriate.  BUT old
   modules that weren't rebuilt (eg 3rd party modules) will remain in
   /boot/FOO/.  If the new kernel happened to change an API, you're
   likely to get a panic when you load the old module.
2) -CURRENT apparently looks in /modules/ as well as /boot/kernel/ -
   and any module found in the former is probably 4.x which will cause
   things to fail spectacularly.

Versioning is the only way to solve both these problems.

Peter