Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:59:48 +1000
From:      "Arthur Hartwig" <a_hartwig@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Charles Ulrich" <charles@idealso.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 Instability

I have had good experience with SMP in FreeBSD 6.0. I have a system with
two CPU packages with hyperthreading (4 CPUs in all). It runs the SMP
kernel, mostly supporting software development (file serving, compiling,
etc). It runs for weeks without stalling or hanging.

I have noticed though that the SMP performance in networking,
particularly forwarding, is not nearly as good under SMP as on a single
CPU system. I wonder if you are getting sustained heavy network traffic.
The LAN driver polling option works well on SMP systems and has a
measure of protection against heavy network loads consuming all the
available CPU time (the drivers effectively stop processing incoming
packets if the system idle time gets too low).

# man polling
gives more details on polling. The kernel needs to be built with option
DEVICE_POLLING, polling needs to enabled on individual interfaces (can
be done in /etc/rc.conf) and, depending on your network load, you might
want to tweak sysctl variables such as kern.polling.user_frac

Arthur

--
  Arthur Hartwig
  a_hartwig@fastmail.fm