Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:36:27 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This just in: Microsoft/Sears Merger

At 07:21 PM 12/21/98 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
>Microsoft hasn't bought me at all. However, some of the machines
>we bought for the lab came with, and run, Windows. Intentionally.
>
>You see, while we use FreeBSD for our servers and mission-critical
>storage, we need to have all kinds of clients up and running here.
>Part of my job is helping the poor schlubs who must live with
>Microsoft Windows. So, I need machines on which to test Windows
>software. I also explain to folks how to get around misfeatures
>and bugs.
>
>In general, I tell people that they can use Windows on their clients
>if they must. But I also say NOT to use Windows NT on the server, where
>the really mission-critical stuff happens. Until they feel they
>can switch their workstations over, having the server for storage,
>backup, e-mail, Web service, etc. gives them SOME measure of reliability
>and recoverability.
>
>--Brett
>
>P.S. -- Don't hold your breath for a FreeBSD version of Eudora. Eudora
>uses Microsoft's Internet Explorer to display HTML messages, and attempts
>to force the installation of IE when it is installed. So, Qualcomm
>probably had to sell its soul to Microsoft to get access to the code.
>I managed to keep it from depositing IE on this particular machine, but
>the average user won't know to do that.

Qualcomm recommends to disable the Microsoft viewer in solution to some
sort of a virii of IE. but also all it takes is a CUSTOM install of Eudora
in order to avoid IE4.. It also does not come with the 4.1 installation
should you download it from Qualcomm.

The microsoft viewer is an option, as it goes I don't see a competitive
advantage in having it enabled, namely because I don't have IE installed
(with exception of the 2.0 or 3.02 that coes with the OSR of 95)..  You
aren't directly required to bow down to any Microsoft product (With
exception of windows) to use it.  The downside is, can't view HTML
messages, but then again, even when I was running it on WIN98, it wouldn't
let me then either, not in-line.

>Another thing you should know is that Qualcomm is engaged in a feud with
>Netscape in which both are acting silly. Netscape wouldn't provide Qualcomm
>with a hook that would let them make Eudora the system's default mailer,
>so Eudora "hooks" events destined for Navigator and grabs clicks
>on e-mail links. But Eudora can only do this while it's running. Therefore,
>if Eudora is NOT running, and you click on an e-mail link, you get Netscape's
>mailer instead. Your address book, prior messages, etc. aren't there, of
>course, which is a big pain. Worse still, sometimes the two programs get
>into a tussle over which one will handle an event, and one program or the
>other just hangs. It's a royal pain, and has caused quite a few users to
>drop one product or the other.

Yeah Getright (a download manager/resumer) does this too.  At times opening
Netscape will crash the copy of Eudora though, due to Eudora trying to find
a hitch..  Netscape should learn not to cause feuds with competing
products, IE will let you pick what messaging client you want to use.

The reason why Eudora uses IE for the HTML is similar to why Intel's
Intercast Viewer does.  Adding HTML decoding to a Microsoft VC++ program is
extremely easy, when you can just simply drop the Internet Explorer ACTIVEX
Control into your project, and link it.  Netscape doesn't offer such a
solution, I'd imagine they're not too worried about such a feature, even
though I think they should.

For what it's worth :)

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D