Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:52:28 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Alex Popa <razor-bsd-security@ldc.ro>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange behaviour on /tmp

In message <20020323214227.A37349@ldc.ro>, Alex Popa writes:
> I have /tmp mode 1777, and mounted like this in fstab:
> "/dev/something		tmp            ufs     rw,nosuid,nodev 2 2"
>
> The thing I am noticing is that all files created under /tmp get
> to be created as group wheel, no matter of the permissions of the
> directory they are created in, or the user that creates them.
>
> Is this expected behaviour?

Yes.  It is BSD behavior to have files created within a directory to
have the same GID as the directory.  SYSV uses the EGID of the process.
 A US Gov't FIPS standard stated at one time that the BSD standard was
to be implemented, which is why SYSV invented the setgid bit for
directories (at the time, conforming to the FIPS standards = sales to
the US Federal Gov't).  The FIPS standard I speak of has been revoked.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, CITS
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC