Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 22:02:28 -0600
From:      David J Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>
To:        Steve Francis <steve@expertcity.com>
Cc:        Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Redundant NIC/Connections

--Apple-Mail-3-895925799

On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 07:30  PM, Steve Francis wrote:

> Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, David J Duchscher wrote:
>>

>> >I was wondering how people are handling redundant connections?  We
>> >would like to have dual NICs in the FreeBSD box with each NIC
>> connected
>> >to a different switch.  Both switches are in the same broadcast
>> domain.
>> >In pointers, hints on this may done would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> Hmm...  no responses posted to date.
>
> I think one of my colleagues responded directly to the poster. We do
> it by a daemon he wrote that monitors interface link status, and also
> pingability of default gateways, and reconfigures interfaces in event
> of a failure, based on the normal configuration file settings
> (/etc/rc.conf)
>
> Instantly in event of link loss; after a few seconds of retrying in
> event of router loss (we use HSRP addresses for routers.)

Yes, I got a few responses including the one mentioned above.  Lack of
time and changing priorities has prevented me from following up on
them.  Anshuman Kanwar did mentioned he might release his solution as
open source if there was interest.  I am at least interested in
reviewing it.  I just need to find the time.

DaveD

--Apple-Mail-3-895925799
	name=PGP.sig
content-disposition: inline