Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 08:19:07 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 27,  5:45pm, David Kelly wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> "Frank Pawlak" writes:
> >
> > Even the deer, a relatively small animal during the rut can pose a
> > danger.  And that leads me to my point.  Knowing what the animal is
> > all about before entering its' environment enables you to minimize the
> > risk of harm and allow the animal to live right along side of you.
>
> Rutting has very little to do with deer and automobiles. "Headlights"
> are the cause of automobile/deer unintentional interfaces. Its common
> for a deer to freeze staring into the oncoming headlights. Often the
> deer is on the side of the road, freezes, doesn't panic until the
> automobile is very close. Then jumps in front of the automobile.

You are right about the effects of headlights on causing deer to freeze.
 However male deer are more active and agressive during the rutting season.  I
was speaking in terms of personal danger, being in the woods during the rutting
season, and not necessarily deer and and cars.

> Lets cure this problem once and for all, lets outlaw headlights.
>
> "the deer, a relatively small animal"  Hah! You've never seen a typical
> Detroit-built American Land Barge totaled by one little deer? One
> little deer can easily destroy the bumper, headlights, grill, hood,
> fender and windshield. If the roof line gets bent too, the vehicle is
> usually totaled.

Hah! try running into a moose sometime,  Guaranteed the damage will be greater.
 Larger animal = greater damage.  Not too difficult.

> There is probably not a single Wal-Mart or K-Mart in the continental US
> that doesn't sell "deer whistles" to be mounted on your front bumper.
> The theory is a deer will run from the right high pitched whistle as
> some vehicles were observed to be hit by deer very rarely, and guessed
> this was due to their sound.

I am well aware of these devices and their purpose.  I have heard that they do
work.  I have racked up about 100,000 miles driving between Minneapolis and
Milwaukee, a 750 mile round trip, and have yet to hit a deer. That area of the
state has a very heavy deer population.  I don't use whistles.  Maybe I am just
luckey or careful and have some knowledge of what to look for when deer are
present.  A lot of those miles were driven in the 90 mph range.  Course I also
drive race cars, not as much as I use to, which may account for alertness and
quick reactions.

Frank