Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:42:07 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 21:08:57 +0100, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the correct list to ask this:
>
> I have a brand new Compaq Proliant box here, which has a Smart Array 5302
> controller (ciss driver). I did some performance testing on it (with
> bonnie++), but I wasn't quite satisfied, the throughput on the Smart Array
> is rather low. So I thought I have a look with camcontrol on it:

What were your performance numbers, anyway?

> [root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol negotiate da1 -T enable
> Current Parameters:
> (pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): disconnection is enabled
> camcontrol: XPT_SET_TRANS_SETTINGS CCB failed, status 0x6
> [root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol negotiate da1 -v
> Current Parameters:
> (pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): disconnection is enabled
> ciss1: SIM/HBA version: 1
> ciss1: supports tag queue messages
> ciss1: HBA engine count: 0
> ciss1: maximum target: 15
> ciss1: maximum LUN: 0
> ciss1: highest path ID in subsystem: 0
> ciss1: initiator ID: 15
> ciss1: SIM vendor: FreeBSD
> ciss1: HBA vendor: msmith@freebsd.ociss
> ciss1: bus ID: 0
> ciss1: base transfer speed: 135.168MB/sec

Hmm, that value is a bit funny, although I suppose for a RAID board it's
kinda hard to know exactly what to put there.

> I guess this means that the device is able to do tagged queueing, but the
> feature is currently turned off. So I tried to enable it and I get this
> error message:
>
> [root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol negotiate da1 -T enable
> Current Parameters:
> (pass1:ciss1:0:0:0): disconnection is enabled
> camcontrol: XPT_SET_TRANS_SETTINGS CCB failed, status 0x6
>
> Can anyone tell me what this means? Is the driver lying to me about tagged
> queueing?

The driver doesn't support the XPT_SET_TRANS_SETTINGS CCB, but it does
support the XPT_GET_TRAN_SETTINGS CCB.  So you can get the transfer
negotiation settings, but you can't set them.

I would suggest using the 'tags' camcontrol command to see how many tag
openings there are for the device, that might be more informative.

> Apart from that: the ciss driver is fairly new AFAIK, I didn't find a lot
> of references to it on the web. Would you recommend it for production use?
> Is there any testing going for userland tools (status control a.s.o.)?

Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org> would be the one to ask.

I would also recommend looking into any caching parameters, etc., you may
be able to set on the controller.  That can have an effect on controller
performance.  I don't know anything about the ciss boards/driver, though,
so I don't really know where you'd look to set that sort of thing.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org