Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2021 11:17:09 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Daily Reports No Longer Getting Mailed

On 3/9/21 11:02 AM, Tim Daneliuk via freebsd-questions wrote:
> One of our production servers suddenly stopped sending daily reporting emails.
>
> We have made some changes in mail config on that server, but I am at a loss
> as to how to diagnose.  At first it seemed that the 'mailutils' packages was
> interfering, but removing it and running 'periodic daily' still produced no
> mail output.
>
> Suggestions for debugging would be welcome.

In general, I would start debugging mail server (which is supposed to
send mail passed to it from inside) by doing it in command line. I'm
pasting my doing it, just obscured machine names (my server is postfix,
if yours is different, some answers may be somewhat different, though
they should be to the same effect):

ssh [some user]@[server.in.question]

[valeri@XXXXX ~]$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 XXXXX.uchicago.edu ESMTP Postfix
EHLO XXXXX.uchicago.edu
250-XXXXX.uchicago.edu
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 204800000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250 CHUNKING
MAIL From: valeri@XXXXX.uchicago.edu
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT To: galtsev@YYYYY.uchicago.edu
250 2.1.5 Ok
DATA
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
This is anything, just to test
.
250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 4AFDE1AF391

Once you see this works, /var/log/maillog is next place to read.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri