Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:28:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        fabry@panam.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: generating .cf file for sendmail

>From: "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>
>Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:19:15 -0600

>On a FreeBSD system, can I use the generic-bsd4.4.mc file to generate the
>.cf file?
>If not, what specifically do I need to put in the VERSIONID and OSTYPE in
>the .mc file?
>Trying to install sendmail 8.9.1

Here are the non-comment lines in the .mc file I used to build a .cf
file a couple of hours ago for 8.9.1.  (It's the same .mc file that I
use for 8.8.8, and is intended for hosts that are on an internal network,
which merely send mail to an internal relay ("whistle.com") unless the
destination address mentions the hostname explicitly.):

include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`@(#)whistle.mc	$Revision: 1.4 $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
FEATURE(`stickyhost')dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
define(`confCT_FILE', `-o /etc/sendmail.ct')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`whistle.com')dnl
define(`confCHECKPOINT_INTERVAL', 4)dnl
define(`confAUTO_REBUILD', True)dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `whistle.com')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

The masquerading is probably overkill, and the confCHECKPOINT_INTERVAL
and confAUTO_REBUILD is there merely because that's what was being
specified when I got here, and I wasn't willing to spend the time to try
to see if they were actually wanted.

In other words, it could probably be specified as:

include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`@(#)whistle.mc	$Revision: 1.4 $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
FEATURE(`stickyhost')dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
define(`confCT_FILE', `-o /etc/sendmail.ct')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`whistle.com')dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `whistle.com')dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

with little change in functionality.

Hope that helps,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621