Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:42:52 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Stefan Stapelberg <stefan@RENT-A-GURU.DE>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http-analyze for FreeBSD

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 12:01:14PM +0200, Stefan Stapelberg wrote:

> I'm the author of http-analyze, a logfile analyzer for web servers
> (see http://www.http-analyze.org/). I would like to ask you whether
> you want to add the analyzer freeware to your standard distribution
> or whether there is a way to get access to a compiling system running
> the latest FreeBSD version?

http-analyse is already available from FreeBSD ports -- see
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=http-analyze&stype=all

That's currently at version 2.01, which I guess could be updated to
the latest free version.  As it's in ports, the package building
system will automatically rebuild it at regular intervals (I think
it's approximately once a week) under 4-STABLE and 5-CURRENT and on
each of the various supported architectures ---
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng-packages/index.html
Output from the build process is available at eg.
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/4-full-logs/http-analyze-2.01_1.log

Whenever you release a new freeware version, you can notify the
package maintainer and the rest of the FreeBSD community by submitting
a problem report at http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html. So long as we
aren't in a ports freeze just prior to a release and your new code
builds OK the port should be updated fairly promptly.

> I would appreciate it very much if http-analyze could be added to
> the standard distribution so that your users always have the latest
> version of both, the OS and the http-analyze application.

So long as the license terms allow it, and the software is available
from the ports system, a FreeBSD package of your software will be
included in the standard 4 CD (or 1 DVD) distribution set for any
FreeBSD release.  It will also appear on all of the worldwide FreeBSD
ftp servers, eg.

   ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/www/http-analyze-2.01_1.tgz

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow