Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 23:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ray Black <allah@mercury.webserve.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Support

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Ray Black wrote:

> I've got one of the dread Compaq Prosignia VS servers with the unsupported
> NCR 53c710 Fast-SCSI-2 controller integrated with the EISA bus. Why
> is this board not supported? I mean, it's not as though it were an
> extremely rare computer, so what are the hardware problems that cause no
> one in the BSD (or even the Linux) community to support it?

My guesses are as follows:
 . Those who are capable of programming for this card don't have a card
   handy to hack with.
 . Until recently Compaq products were lameducks because their Ethernet
   cards weren't supported either.  Now that there is a driver for their
   NICs it may spur someone to undertake a development effor.

> I'm far from a
> great programmer, but if someone would point me to info on how to write
> device drivers, I'd do what I could to make that sucker work.

NCR/Symbios are pretty outgoing with specs, see http://www.symbios.com.
Symbios is the SCSI subsidiary of NCR that was spun off of NCR/AT&T.

> Also, on a silimar note, it would seem like something that could be ported
> over from SCO fairly easily (and I'm no trademark or copyright lawyer, so
> I don't know the ramifications of that), yet it's not been done. What
> would be the limitations of that move, beyond the legal ones?

SCO is *completely* different from FreeBSD.  Porting from SCO (esp. device
drivers) isn't as easy as it looks.  SCO is SVR4 based while we are 4.4BSD
based -- it's the difference between Chevy and BMW.