Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:31:44 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Erin Fortenberry <efortenb@sdccd.cc.ca.us>, "'G D McKee'" <freebsd@gdmckee.com>, Lee Mark Mercado <mercadolee@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login access

On Thursday 26 July 2001 10:54 am, Erin Fortenberry wrote:
> > Put a # in front of the relevant lines in your etc/inetd.conf
> > file.  Then HUP inetd.
>
> This is going to block all people from being able to have access via those
> ports. What I would do (and have done) to build a firewall (ipf, ipfw,
> etc.) and block any open ports to the machine. You need to remove telnet
> anyways, or at least fix it. I would suggest running an ssh daemon like
> openssh, you can build it out of the ports.
>
> Blocking ports is only the beginning of actually securing the machine. You
> need to add users with using a shell that will not give them access such as
> /bin/nologin. You can also add users to the /etc/ftpusers file to block
> their being able to use ftp.
>

> Erin

ssh is now part of the base dist. Just update to the latest 4-STABLE.

Beech

> > Gordon

Micro$oft: "Where can we make you go today?"
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510