Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:34:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>, "-chat@FreeBSD" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: China loves Linux?

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

>And the boss says, "Linux is the market leader; heck, even *I* have
>heard of it. So don't go switching to this 'Freebie' stuff, whatever
>it is."
>
>Alas, I've had this happen at the sites of some of my clients. They've
>INSISTED that I not switch them to FreeBSD.

That's a shame.  I've heard stories of sysadmins installing Linux or
FreeBSD servers/gateways without telling their bosses, and weeks or months
later the boss says 'what's that box in the corner over there?'  And the
sysadmin says, 'that, sir, is the [insert un*x OS name] server that hasn't
crashed in X months.'  THEN they are impressed.

>I say, quit hoping that they'll switch someday; that's sour grapes. Get
>a foot in the door NOW.
>
>--Brett
>
>At 06:02 PM 11/12/1999 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>>Here's what often happens, and it happened to me:
>>Linux first, then FreeBSD.  Play with the toy first, then move on to the
>>real thing.  Yeah, *some* people will stay with linux, but as those people
>>migrate towards high-tech jobs and places with servers, they may be
>>exposed to FreeBSD and take an interest.

>> >But it's harder to get them to convert, since what they're using is
>> >ALREADY very much like FreeBSD. The advantages of switching are much
>> >smaller than for, say, an NT user. Best to get them using FreeBSD from
>> >the outset.
>> >
>> >--Brett

>> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message
>> >

>>-jonathon

-jonathon