Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:43:12 +0000
From:      nangergong <nangergong@gmail.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two questions:1 relationship between dummynet and wireshark 2 how to add latency for each packet to be sent

Hi=EF=BC=8C

  Thank you so much for your reply. I used the windows version of
dummynet/IPFW, so is it the same that wireshark will intercept
incoming traffic before dummynet, and outgoing traffic after dummynet? Coz
It is kind of strange according to my ping test:

  I have two machines, A and B
  A: 9.161.150.55
  B: 9.161.148.72

  I configured on A:

  >ipfw pipe 1 config plr 1
  >ipfw add pipe 1 ip from 9.161.150.55 to 9.161.148.72  (from A to B)

  and then

   (1 ) ping "9.161.148.72" on A and started capturing packets on both
machines
        I found that there are four "ping request" packets captured on A
while no packets are captured on B.

   (2) ping "9.161.150.55 " on B and capturing packets on both machines
        I found that there are four "ping request" and four "ping reply"
packets on A while only four "request" packets on B.

  So it seems that the results contradict with "wireshark will intercept
incoming traffic before dummynet, and outgoing traffic after dummynet" on
Windows version?.

  However, when I started a softphone call, it seems that "wireshark will
intercept outgoing traffic after dummynet" is true?

  Really confused now! Do you have any idea on this? Thank you!