Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 13:36:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wang@tdiinc.com
Subject:   Re: how to get hardware info

>Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 12:20:14 -0800
>From: Xiangzhou wang <wang@tdiinc.com>

>Is anyone know how to write a program to collect hardware info on a
>running freeBSD system, like disk, CPU etc.

I sympathize with the question.  I've been sysadmin for a few other
systems, for which sysinfo proved quite handy.  Unfortunately, I
couldn't figure out how to get at the information that sysinfo reports
for FreeBSD, so I could port sysinfo to FreeBSD, and thus just use the
same tool on each of the systems I administer to get a fairly consistent
report of the system configuration.

Someone else suggested the "dmesg" program (and, quite correctly,
mentioned that it's available on several other flavors of UNIX).  One
thing that wasn't apparent to me until someone pointed it out to me is
that by default, reasonably current FreeBSD systems write the output of
"dmesg" just after boot time to /var/run/dmesg.boot.  It may well be
easier or more useful for you to be able to examine a file, rather than
the output of a process.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621