Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:15:00 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

> [CC trimmed back to -arch]
> > David O'Brien wrote:
> > >
> > > Command line completion, and something other than bazzar "!^?-" history
> > > substitution.  Shell evolution (and other command line tools) have shown
> > > that either Emacs or Vi -style line editing is the way to go.  No one has
> > > adopted the bazzar Csh history substitution syntax.
> >
> > ^No one^Only Wes^
> ^s^s and Rod^,
> who really love the !-7:9-11 !-6:2 As it can do things you can't
> do with the stupid simplistic !-6:4-9 of other shells and probably
> often look at the output of the !-7:5 command to glue a new long complex
> command togeather out of tokens from many previous commands.
>
> For the csh impared:
> Only Wes and Rod has adopted the bazzar Csh history substition syntax.,
> who really love the bazzar "!^?-" history substitution.  As it can do things
> you can't do with the stupid simplistic Emacs or Vi -style line editing of
> other shells and probably often look at the output of the history command to
> glue a new long complex command togeather out of tokens from many previous
> commands.
>
> IMHO, If you don't use these features of csh you might as well run bash... :-)

But Rod, bash supports both of these syntaxes.  ;^)

My vote for keeping /bin/csh was based purely on size.  Please note I am
an embed-head who tends to boots tons of code off 16MB Flash parts.  And
yes, my current (until tomorrow) employer is a huge user of csh scripts,
dumb as that is.  Some of these scripts range in size up to thousands of
lines.  Augh!