Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:29:59 +0100
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        kevlo@freebsd.org
Subject:   What to do with little bugs in =?iso-8859-1?Q?KDE2=B4s?= kcontrol?

Hi folks,
what to do with the following little errors in kcontrol installed by
the KDE 2.01 port (maintainer is cc´ed)? I searched the FreeBSD gnats
and KDE bugs, but nobody seems to have touched this problem until now.

Error 1 (maybe OS independant):
In menu System->Login Manager->Sessions (will change kdm behaviour)
the command for "Shutdown" is written in the file
/usr/local/share/config/kdmrc as variable "ShutDown". But executed and
read is the variable "Shutdown". So any changes won´t be displayed or
executed.
The value for "Allow to shutdown" is written to and read from the
variable "ShutDownButton", but executed is the variable
"ShutdownButton". So any changes will be displayed, but not executed.

Error 2 (FreeBSD only): The "Console mode" command defaults to
"/sbin/init 3", which is of course meaningless in FBSD. I would
suggest "/sbin/shutdown now" to switch to single user mode instead.

Correction: Probably some ~ and cw commands in vi , when editing a
file called similar to kcontrol.c ? ;-)
Got the above results by experimenting, not looking at the sources, as
those are really too big for me.

Some information to be sure:
su-2.04# uname -a
FreeBSD mycomputer.mydomain 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0:
Sat Feb 10 07:15:09 CET 2001
root@mycomputer.mydomain:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYCOMPUTER  i386
su-2.04# kcontrol -v
Qt: 2.2.4
KDE: 2.0.1
KDE Control Center: v2.0
su-2.04# kdm -v
su-2.04#		*DAMN*; kdm was installed by the same kde meta port as
kcontrol

Should I file a PR? Never did this before. Should this be one with
Category:ports; Severity:non-critical; Priority:low; Class:sw-bug (for
the capital letter problem) and another one with Class:change-request
(for the FBSD defaults) or can I submit one with everything included?

Ciao
Siegbert