Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 11:36:16 +0000
From:      Matthew Ryan <matt@overdose.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, dan@slightlystrange.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port Forwarding FreeBSD 4.7_Release

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 03:06  am, Bill Moran wrote:

> Matthew Ryan wrote:
>>>

>>> The reason they don't "route out" is that they are addressed to the
>>> router, so it doesn't bother to forward them outside.
>>>
>> Ok, I understand, this does present me with a bit of a problem
>> however, accessing my mail server from home for example. Can you
>> think of a workaround?
>
> I don't fully understand the question.  What exactly do you mean by
> "from home"?  Is the mail server behind the firewall?  You can port
> forward/reroute just about anything to anywhere, with enough time and
> patience.  But there's not enough information in the statement you just
> made for anyone to help you much.

sorry, i'll try to be more explicit. I have a number of services on
ports forwarded from my external IP address to an internal IP address
via NAT as we have discussed.

The problem is that I can not access these services from inside nat.

Example - My mail server address resolves to my external IP number.
It's primarily a mobility issue.  From inside NAT I can't collect my
mail unless I specifically point my browser at the internal IP number
of my mail server. Yes I can get around this with some sort of client
location manager or by connecting to the internet via a route other
than my LAN, but none of these options are ideal.

I am hoping for a routing solution, and I am pleased to read your
comforting words:

> You can port forward/reroute just about anything to anywhere, with
> enough time and
> patience.

Lowell Gilbert suggests running local DNS (thanks) but I have no
experience of DNS and I had other areas of learning in mind for the
moment.

Can anyone think of another solution?

Thanks again

Matthew Ryan