Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:45:51 +1100
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        "Haulmark, Chris" <chris@sigd.net>
Cc:        simon.roberts@earthlink.net
Subject:   RE: Network monitoring

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 08:27, Haulmark, Chris wrote:
> Someone broke the silence:
>
> > I apologize that this probably isn't the most relevant
> > list to ask this on. Suggestions for better lists will be welcome.
> >
> > I'm trying to monitor traffice on a 100BaseT ethernet
> > network link. I split the line, put a "hub" in and am
> > trying to run tcpdump on a box off the side of the
> > hub.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it turns out the hub isn't a hub, it's
> > a "switching hub" (what's not a switch about this? I
> > don't get it). Consequently, all I see are arp
> > packets, bootp packets, and the odd broadcast. I went
> > to a local store to buy a hub, and guess what, they
> > sold me another switching hub, so that has to be
> > returned :(
> >
> > So, the question is, can anyone tell me the
> > manufacturer and product name of a real (dumb) hub? I
> > could use 10baseT instead if necessary, I just need
> > something cheap that is a simple repeater. Of course,
> > nobody advertizes "our hub really is a totally dumb
> > hub, not like those fancy switching hubs the
> > competition sells" ;>
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> I ran into the similar problem.  I just looked elsewhere for a cheap hub. Ebay was the favorite place for me.  For you, just swing by a Pop/Mom/Family kind of computer stores.  They might sell few old hubs that doesn't have switching capabilities at a low price.
>
> Chris Haulmark
>
> > Thanks
> > Simon

Would this work for you

1 - install a second NIC in the BSD box
2 - configure it as a bridge with no IP numbers on the NICs
     (Ahm jist sittin' 'ere, passin' stuff thru!)
3 - tcpdump -i fxp0      or      tcpdump -i fxp1
     as appropriate

A NIC is easier to get than a dumb hub these days ...

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.