Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 1995 17:22:54 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 Eager to go into swap

<<On Wed, 02 Aug 1995 14:02:52 -0700, David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM> said:

> to do about it. Ironically, shared libraries are supposed to help this
> situation, but in FreeBSD they are so un-optimally ordered that applications
> wind up consuming as much memory as they would if built non-shared (static).
> The solution to this problem is to order the routines so that commonly used
> ones are all grouped together, and further group together related routines.
> This is difficult for two reasons: first, we don't have the statistics to know
> how to order the routines properly, and second, our library build procedure
> really doesn't allow for this.

Actually, the same `lorder ${OBJS} | tsort' technique ought to have
some beneficial effect.  This doesn't group together commonly-used
routines, but it does group modules near each other based on
dependency.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.