Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 96 08:54:52 +0100
From:      "John Richards" <john@zyqad.co.uk>
To:        Guy Muff <rmuff@value.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem problems during installation.

> I am installing FreeBSD on my PC as a learning experience, so
> please excuse this if my question is dumb.
> 	While attempting to install FreeBSD 2.1.5 over a PPP connection I
> can't seem to get the 'user process ppp' to communicate with my modem.
> The only commands I can issue in 'term' mode are '~p' and '~.', and even
> those aren't echoed on the screen.  I am using a US Robotics sportster
> 28.8 internal on COM2, IRQ 3.
> 	Thank you.

Sorry can't help but I'm having exactly the same problem with 2.1.0R.  I'm
trying to configure the modem for internet connectivity and failing miserably.
This mail done from work.  I have seen reports that Sportster modems have a
timing bug that has been cured on later versions but I don't know if this is
relevant to our problem.  I get nothing back from the modem using any terminal
type program using either FreeBSD or DrOSs/Windoze.  That is I type AT it
replies...nothing.  Curiously though it does do what I tell it to do whilst in
term mode.  That is ATDT9549666 will dial up my ISP and get a connection but of
course I can't see anything.

If you get an answer to this problem then please let me know - although if I
can't solve it in the next few days I'm going to return the modem as `unsuitable
for the purpose for which it was sold'.  If I get a fix I'll let you know.

Bye

John
(Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)
John Richards                           * email : john@zyqad.co.uk
Zyqad Ltd,                              *
Suite 25, GPT Business Park,            *
Technology Drive, Beeston               * tel   : +44 115 922 0820
NOTTINGHAM. NG9 2ND.                    * fax   : +44 115 967 8374