Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:41:16 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>, J <dude@shell.schulte.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP client IP

On Thursday 26 July 2001 01:16 pm, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 02:15:30PM -0500, J wrote:
> > I've recently installed FreeBSD on one of the computers in my college's
> > lab. All computers here are DHCP clients, and their IP addres is never
> > static. Is there a way to predict the next IP address? Also, if the
> > computer doesnt get logged off, will this prevent the IP address from
> > regulating? Please cc:
>
> In /etc/rc.conf:
>
> 	ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
>
> Change the xl0 to your NIC interface...

You need to have your admin add your machine to the DHCP server to give you a
static address. Other than that there is no guarantee how long you will keep
an IP, and no way to predict which IP will be assigned next. It all depends
on how the DHCP server is setup. IP's can be changed every 5 minutes if the
admin decides to do that.

Beech
--
Micro$oft: "Where can we make you go today?"
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org