Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:46:34 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Assad Khan" <assad.khan@usa.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-VS-Linux---Some Venting from Linux's side!

>    I have been seeing a FreeBSD-VS-Linux war on this mailing list and it
has
> disturbed me beyond tolerance. Which drove me to write this e-mail.

So you've decided to join in.

 First I want to tell everyone that I love everything thats opensource and
free, that includes FreeBSD,Linux,OpenBSD and NetBSD. But my most loved OS
is
Linux for the following reasons.

Linux isn't an OS.  It's a kernel.  That's like saying GNU HURD is my
favorite OS, or kernel32.dll is my favorite OS.  How about io.sys is my
favorite OS ?

>  For its age Linux has gone farther than any other OS has, including
*BSD's.
>The BSD's have a history of 20+ years and you are trying to prove that its
>superior as compared to Linux? Give me a break! If they werent superior
even
>now, then they did not deserve to be used at all.

FreeBSD Version 1.0 (December, 1993)   Last time I checked 2001-1994 != 20

Not to mention the fact that your reasoning here is stupid.  You say Linux
has done more in less time, yet it's still inferior to BSD, yet somehow this
is a reason to use Linux ?  I have a Buick which will 0-35 faster than your
car, but it's top speed is 45 miles per hour.  Would you rather have my
Buick or your car ?  Going from 7th place to 5th place very quickly doesn't
mean a damned thing until you pass a few more people.  You're still losing.

>Plus Linux was written from
>scratch, even though it was derived from Minix it did not contain any
foreign
>source code. While the BSD's contained actual AT&T code for quite some time
>and then they built upon that when they 'migrated' to 4.4BSD.

So now being derived from the original "Unix" is now a flaw ?  It used to be
a claim to fame as I recall.

> Linux has a more open model of developement as compared to any of the
BSD's.

Open model of development ?

>With the release of kernel 2.4.0 for Linux, its now an official gladiator
in the arena of
>Enterprise computing (although it is already running one of the most
heavily
>visited sites namely google.com,freshmeat.net...).

What exactly is it about 2.4.0 that makes it Enterprise as opposed to the
previous versions of Linux ?  Have you seen the benchmarks ?

> Microsoft hates Linux's guts while it seems to embrace the BSD's,
> for this reason alone is Linux worth using!

That is the stupidest thing you've said so far.  So when Microsoft embraces
Linux, are you going to run to Solaris ?

> Linux has done much to improve and its BETTER than NT (for some of you
falmers kind info).

Better than NT ?  Isn't that like the taller than Napoleon award ?  Everyone
wins.

>And watch out, Linux is fast improving and *very* soon the BSD's might seem
redundant with Linux around!

Might seem redundant ?  Do you understand the term redundant ?  Give me a
break.  You're talking out your ass, spouting Linux advocacy bullshit on a
FreeBSD mailing list.  Get the hell off this list and stop throwing your
Linux shit in my mailbox.