Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 20:48:31 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dufault@hda.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more than 32 disks?

>A related question: are there issues (regarding booting, etc) with
>removing all partition/slice/ file system code from the different
>device drivers and having a single "dk" device that gets wired to
>the other block devices? Essentially have the base device be a
>trusting client of a dk device that handles all that stuff.

It makes things a little easier for the boot code.  I think the main
problems are that dk0 (sd0) gets would get renumbered to dk1 (sd0)
when wd0 is also installed :-), and if you fix this by wiring down
the drive numbers then you may lose uniformity by encoding the
driver names in the device names.

Bruce