Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:14:35 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Bob Melson <melsonr@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about dependencies

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:43:02PM -0600, Bob Melson wrote:

> Briefly, I discovered on my system some 124 ports of 600+ that show
> python as a requirement.  Granted that many are probably cascading
> requirements:  A requires B which requires C which requires python, so A
> and B are shown  to depend on it; this still seems to me to be a problem.

Actually, there are just two ports that directly depend on python, and
through which the majority of those other ports you mention inherit
their python dependence.  Those ports are:

    textproc/libxml2
    textproc/libxslt

both of which are important parts of the Gnome environment.

If you don't want python installed on your system, then there's a
simple solution.  Set 'WITHOUT_PYTHON=3Dyes' in /etc/make.conf and
reinstall all of the ports that depend from those two.

This will cause both of those ports to compile into packages without
any python dependence:

    % pkg_info -I '*nopython*'
    libxml2-nopython-2.6.9 Xml parser library for GNOME
    libxslt-nopython-1.1.6 The XSLT C library for GNOME

Given that, and not installing any ports with an explicit Python
dependency and it's perfectly possible to trim python out of a system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way