Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 16:37:25 +0200
From:      dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cnews port

Hello,
does anybody still care for the cnews port?
i have updated it with some patches, but i use
a diffrent directory structure (like /usr/local/bin/cnews)
to let it not collide with other news packages.

my question is now:

1) should i commit the patches seperatly ?

or

2) should i commit the new port with a new directory structure?
   - this means some of the packages have to changed too.
   (suck, slurp, trn, rn ...)
   but some still don't work with the old path of cnews.

   the paths in the current distribution:
	NEWSBIN		/usr/local/news/cnewsbin
	NEWSCTL		/usr/local/news/lib
	NEWSARTS	/var/news
	NEWSOV		/var/news
	NEWSCONFIG	/usr/local/news/lib/bin/config

   My problems:
   I prefer the location of history and active outside /usr/local
   and sorted the binaries under /usr/local/libexec/cnews.
   The nntpd port don't work with an seperate overview dirrectory.

   my current paths:
	NEWSBIN		/usr/local/libexec/cnews
	NEWSCTL		/usr/local/libexec/cnews
	NEWSARTS	/var/news
	NEWSOV		/var/news
	NEWSCONFIG	/usr/local/libexec/cnews/config

   possibly pathes, i have thought about:
	NEWSCTL		/var/lib/cnews
	NEWSARTS	/var/cnews
	NEWSOV		/var/cnews/over.view

my target is to seperate cnews, so it does not collide
with an existing inn distibution.

please write your suggestions and comments here,
regards Dirk

-- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
-- Tel. +49-5606-6512

.