Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 21:18:27 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MD5 v. DES?

In message <19980530203204.34537@follo.net>, Eivind Eklund writes:
>On Sat, May 30, 1998 at 12:07:57PM -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:

>Apart from that, my ideal hash for a password file is one based on
>searching for public keys.  It'd go like this:
>(1) Salt the password
>(2) Use a cheap one-way hash to create a start value for a
>    pseudo-random function (e.g, an LFSR)
>(3) Use the random-function to do a deterministic search for a
>    public/private key pair
>(4) Store the salt and the public part of the key as the hash

I have been considering if we shouldn't introduce a

	int checkuserpassword(char *user, char *password);

in some library, rather than having all these programs know that
you should strcmp after calling crypt().  This would allow us to
do what you propose or RADIUS authentication for that matter...

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal