Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:35:55 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Is this ping normal?

Hi Joe!

On 16 Jan 02 at 22:51 you wrote:

> These Nic cards are brand new.
> The box and the manuals say they are 100baseT Nics.
>
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:07:52 -0500  "Joe & Fhe Barbish" wrote:
>  +------------------
>  | Using a FBSD 4.4 box with a generic install where
>  | the only thing customized is the Nic card as full
>  | duplex and Ip assigned using ifconfig,

Repeat after me:
Full Duplex Is Evil.

Try re-configuring things for half-duplex and see what happens.

FWIW, if you connect the computers with crossover cable, then Full
Duplex "should" work, at least theoretically. If you use a hub in
between, then full duplex is not supposed to work. In practice, it
often tries to, but the performance is horrible.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.