Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:32:54 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail default run state

    Neil> Yeah, it would be nice to offer this, but we can't assure
    Neil> ipfw/ipfilter rules, and my knowledge of sendmail
    Neil> configuration is dangerous.  Is there a way to tell sendmail
    Neil> what IP addresses to bind?

Not right now. I'm working on patches that will let you do this. Hopefully
these will be incorporated into the 8.12 release.

Meanwhile, FEATURE(nullclient) gets you most of the way there. You still
have sendmail listening on all your interfaces, but there isn't a whole lot
anyone off the box can do with them.

    Neil> If it means rewriting the
    Neil> configuration file, we could investigate the use of sed to
    Neil> allow us to specify smarthost (DS in sendmail, IIRC) and
    Neil> what IP(s) to bind.

No, generate a custom .mc and build a .cf from that. Editing the .cf directly
is akin to patching object decks. (Ya, it's fun, but not very productive :-)

If you really need it, build a point-and-shoot-yourself-in-the-head
gooey front end.

--lyndon (not a gooey fan)