Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:02:47 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Ken Bolingbroke" <hacker@bolingbroke.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error on xl0

Ken writes:

> Just by plugging the error message in google.com,
> I get a whole list of hits suggesting various possible
> solutions.  Have you tried any of these?

The one solution I've seen involves recompiling a driver module (and presumably
rebuilding the kernel?), which seems like dramatic overkill and risk for what is
apparently only a diagnostic message.  The error apparently occurs when the NIC
cannot obtain the PCI bus quickly enough to refill its buffer.

Looking at dmesg.today I note the presence of an "unknown card" on pci0; I have
only two cards in the PCI slots, the NIC and an unused Adaptec 2930UW SCSI
adapter.  The "unknown card" message gives "vendor=0x13f6, dev=0x0111" as the
only identification.  Is there someplace on the Web where I can look this up?

There is also some other internal stuff on pci0, apparently, including a VIA
83c572 USB controller, which is useless to me (I have no USB devices), a VIA
82C686 ISA bridge of some sort, and a "PCI-to-PCI bridge," whatever that is.

However, as long as it's a diagnostic and not a fatal error, I don't know that I
want to "fix" the problem.

At the same time, though, if there is a way to direct messages like this
somewhere besides sending them instantly to root, I'd like to know how that is
done.  It's irritating to have them spurting onto the screen all the time.  Is
there a way to, say, route them all to the system console, but not to other
terminals with root logins, or to a file, or something?