Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 23:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The unending conflict: modems and mice

Please wrap your lines, thanks.

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Dave  Bender wrote:

> + When I enter the tip command, and type "AT" the machine freezes. I
> have to reboot.

another vty and kill off tip.

> + In another iteration, tip froze, but if I moved the mouse I got all
> sorts of frenetic, weird output on the screen. I also had to reboot.

Well, it looks like you picked the serial port your mouse is connected to
:)

> The modem is a brand spanking new US Robotics jumperless Plug and Play
> 56K modem (motherboard /bios is also PnP -- does that matter?) so I
> don't know how to tell what port/irq it selected. How can I find that
> out from the OS?

You'll need to buid a new kernel with

controller pnp0

to get started.  Hopefully that will pick up your modem.  If it doesn't,
you'll need to fish out the device ID for the modem and plug it into the
table in /sys/i386/isa/sio.c around line 2100 -- look for `Supra1201'.