Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:53:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Nava <dnava@he.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   customizing an mfsroot disk

Hello. I've made a customized sysinstall program that
asks for the network configuration stuff right after the
device probe, then writes that to the install.cfg file
in order to make for a completely canned install

This runs great from the hard drive, but I have not been
able to succesfully add this new program to an mfsroot floppy.
Heres the way I have been trying this:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/fd
cp /mnt/fd/mfsroot.gz /tmp/mfsroot.gz
gunzip /tmp/mfsroot.gz
vnconfig /dev/vn0 /tmp/mfsroot
mount /dev/vn0 /mnt/mfs
cp /my/customized/sysinstall /mnt/mfs/stand/sysinstall
umount /mnt/mfs
vnconfig -u /dev/vn0
gzip /tmp/mfsroot
cp /tmp/mfsroot.gz /dev/fd/
umount /dev/fd

So when I insert this disk (after booting from a kern floppy),
the kernel config, and the kernel boot work fine, but
it hangs when starting /stand/sysinstall. It just says:
"/stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0"
< hang ... >
Now if i switch to a different vterm, the following lines
are outputed there:
"DEBUG: ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)"
"proc: table is full"

Im not sure what im doing wrong, or if i missed a step.
Also, I'm very confused about the file sizes. On the
default mfsroot floppy (when the file system image is
mounted using vnconfig) almost every file in /stand
shows as being 1748692 bytes. Most all the other
binaries on the disk show as being this size also.
/stand/sysinstall on my hard drive also shows as being
this size, but my hacked sysinstall binary is
875555 bytes. When i copy this to the (vnconfig) mounted
mfsroot file system in place of the original, all
the other file sizes in the stand directory change to
875555.

Whats the deal with this wierd file size reporting?
Is there something I have to do to the hacked binary before
copying it to the floppy's filesystem?

Any hints/tips/answers/etc would be _greatly_ appreciated.
This thing has been dribing me crazy!

Thanks in advance,

-Dan