Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:48:10 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3COM HomeConnect ADSL bridge

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:48:21AM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> PPPoA is PPP over ATM which is how the WAN port connected to the telco.  The
> external modem would connect either via ethernet or USB.  I'm pretty new to
> all of this so I don't really know if it would have worked using PPPoE.  I
> didn't understand the problem other than a "dialer" was needed and I
> couldn't get FBSDs PPP to do it.

OK... I now recall ATM being mentioned in one of the ADSL tutorials I
read. According to www.3com.com, the Homeconnect "dual link", i.e.,
USB/10BaseT has the Alcatel chipset. My Telco issues/supports the
HomeConnect 3CP3647 model 0740 which has the ADI DMT chipset, and only
has an ethernet port. So I may be in luck -- again ;)

> I don't see how the "splitter-less" setup would change anything but I'm no
> expert here either.  FWIW, I actually had my DSL running before the
> technician installed it.  In other words, the tech had not been to my house
> to install the splitter but the telco had activated my account and DSL was
> on the line.  Being the "Curious George" that I am, I hooked up the modem to
> see if it would work and it did.

With a splitter-less setup, ADSL is available on all your in-house phone
jacks. You then needs to use a RJ11 filter to block the high-freq. (ADSL)
signal whereever you need an analog device. If you had done just that
before the techie arrived, you'd have been good to go, I bet.

> Anyway, now I'm really glad I got the router as *it* establishes and
> maintains the connection.  Now my home network is not dependent on any one
> PC functioning for Internet access and with the way I screw around with
> stuff, this is a good thing (keeps the wife from complaining).  All I do is
> plug into one of the ethernet ports on the router (it has 4) and away I go.

I can see where this OfficeConnect would be ideal for a "tinkerer" like
me also ;) Thanks.
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada